Senior Corporate Counsel - Corporate and Commercial
Peter is a corporate and commercial lawyer who has led many of New Zealand’s most significant transactions over the last 30 years. He has broad legal expertise including with takeovers, flotations, joint ventures, Māori legal issues, and Treaty of Waitangi claims.
Peter specialises in all aspects of mergers and acquisitions (M&A). He assists boards of New Zealand and international companies with governance and corporate matters, as well as documenting contracts and acting in relation to company flotations and equity raisings.
He advises both private and public sector clients across a wide range of industries, including energy and resources, aviation, maritime, agriculture, and farming. A board member of several orchestral and operatic foundations and trusts, Peter also does a considerable amount of legal work for the charitable and not for profit sector.
He has a keen interest and substantial experience in Māori legal issues, having acted for Waikato–Tainui in relation to its land and river claims and constitutional matters.
Clients appreciate Peter’s vast corporate law expertise and experience and his sound, pragmatic advice. Over the course of his career, he has been recognised as a leading individual by several publications, including Chambers Global. He is ranked as a leading corporate lawyer by ‘The Best Lawyers in New Zealand’.
Peter has facilitated numerous client seminars on commercial, corporate, and Securities Act issues.
- 1969, New Zealand
- JD, University of Chicago Law School
- LLM, University of Auckland
- Chairman, Bach Musica NZ
- Chairman, NZSO Foundation
- Chairman, NZ Trio Foundation
- Chairman, Wagner New Zealand Foundation
- Trustee, Auckland Opera Studio
- Commercial Contracts
- Joint Ventures
- Māori and Treaty Negotiations
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Not For Profit
- Recognised for Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Best Lawyers
- Member of MinterEllisonRuddWatts’ internationally recognised Tier 1 (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific) and Band 1 (Chambers Asia-Pacific) Corporate and Commercial team