Partner - Corporate and Commercial
Silvana is a corporate and commercial partner and leads our Auckland corporate legal team. She is experienced in advising local and foreign clients on a range of corporate matters. With extensive expertise in M&A, private equity investments, takeovers, scheme of arrangements, capital raisings and corporate governance matters, Silvana is renowned for her ability to get the most complex and innovative deals done in a pragmatic way.
Skilled at getting to the heart of the matter and delivering excellent results for her clients, Silvana has been involved in some of New Zealand most iconic transactions, including a number of market “firsts”, setting precedent in the New Zealand legal market.
In doing so, Silvana regularly liaises with regulatory authorities including the Financial Markets Authority, the New Zealand Stock Exchange and the Overseas Investment Office.
Silvana is a board member of the New Zealand Takeovers Panel, evidence of her expertise and experience in the M&A and capital markets sectors locally and internationally.
The calibre of Silvana’s work is recognised in the independent and premiere international legal directory Chambers Global for her M&A, IPOs, takeovers and corporate governance work, with clients saying “I give her an A+ – the work she does is excellent, sophisticated, thorough and detailed.” and commenting that Silvana is “a fantastic lawyer who is smart, commercially minded and able to deal with different parties in a pragmatic manner.”
She has a remarkable international background, having practiced law in New York, Chile and New Zealand. Her practice includes a Latin-American focus, where Silvana maintains a broad network of contacts. Due to her international experience she is ideally positioned to assist clients with all aspects of the overseas investment process as it applies to the acquisition of businesses or significant assets in New Zealand.
Silvana is a published author, having written ‘Duties and Responsibilities of Directors and Company Secretaries in New Zealand’, a highly acclaimed text referred to by the directors’ community in New Zealand.
Advising on some of the largest deals in New Zealand
Silvana recently advised Agria Corporation and New Hope on their $141,000,000 partial takeover offer of PGG Wrightson; Synlait Milk on its capital raising project involving the investment of $82 million by Bright Dairy; Fiserv (NASDAQ: FISV) on their acquisition of 100% of the shares in Mobile Commerce in New Zealand; as well as one of the shareholders of Flavoured Beverages (holding company of the Independent Liquor Group) in the sale of 100% of the shares to the Asahi Group, for a total price of approximately $1.5 billion.
- 2007, New Zealand
- 2001, Chile
- LLM, Harvard University
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (Hons First Class) Facultad de Derecho
- Independent Director, Skycity Entertainment Group Limited
- Member, Takeovers Panel
- Member, Latin America New Zealand Business Council (LANZBC)
- Overseas Member, Australia Latin America Business Council
- Member, Global Women
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Overseas Investment
- Private Equity
- Excellence award – New Zealand Dealmaker of the Year, Australasian Law Awards 2020 and 2021
- Ranked Band 1 for Corporate/Commercial, Chambers Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a leading in Foreign Expertise (Chile), Chambers Global
- Ranked as a leading Corporate/Commercial lawyer, Chambers Global
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Recognised for Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Private Equity Law, Best Lawyers
- Recognised for M&A and Governance, Who's Who Legal: Australia and New Zealand 2021
- Highly commended – New Zealand Dealmaker of the Year, Australian Law Awards 2017
- +64 9 353 9986
- +64 21 312402