Deal making skills recognised ahead of Australasian Law Awards 2021
MinterEllisonRuddWatts’ deal making skills have once again been recognised by the prestigious Australasian Law Awards.
Named New Zealand Deal Firm of the Year in 2020, the firm has been recognised as a finalist for this category in the 2021 awards. Partner and Head of Corporate, Silvana Schenone has also been named as a finalist and awarded ‘Excellence’ in the New Zealand Dealmaker of the Year category.
The firm led on a number of significant and complex deals during a turbulent 2020 including:
- acting for Healthscope and Brookfield’s on the sale of Healthscope’s $550+ million New Zealand pathology business to a consortium of New Zealand Superannuation Fund and the Canadian Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, one of the largest transactions completed in 2020.
- acting for MediaWorks, New Zealand’s largest independent commercial broadcaster, on its sale of MediaWorks TV to Discovery Inc.
- advising Westpac New Zealand on the sale of its financial advisory business to Forsyth Barr, a ground-breaking transaction in the market; and
- advising Resource Management Service, one of the world’s largest providers of timber land investment services, on the sale of its Wellington-based business to CFPC (Singapore), part of China Forestry Group Corporate.
Silvana Schenone’s stellar reputation as a leading deal maker continues to attract attention from both New Zealand-based companies and international clients. Sought after for her pragmatic approach and commercial acumen Silvana had another outstanding year, including:
- being engaged by Infratil, alongside Goldman Sachs, to advise on the proposed takeover from AustralianSuper for a consideration exceeding $5.4 billion;
- acting for Essity Group Holdings on the New Zealand aspects of its full takeover of Asaleo Care, via scheme of arrangement valued at AU$788m;
- advising The New Zealand Merino Company on a complex capital restructure including constitutional reform, three stage capital raising and share buy-back; and
- advising the New Zealand Government on its response to COVID-19 issues regarding directors’ duties and insolvency.
The Australasian Law Awards recognise leading law firms and in-house teams in Australia and New Zealand for their outstanding achievements.
The winners of the Australasian Law Awards will be announced online in mid-June 2021.