Cathy is a former senior corporate partner and Chair of the firm. Considered one of New Zealand’s elite commercial lawyers, Cathy has earned a stellar reputation working alongside boards, Government, and blue-chip companies as a valued business and legal adviser.
Highly regarded for her specialist legal work in mergers and acquisitions (M&A), securities law, corporate governance, and private equity, Cathy has a wealth of experience advising international and local clients in both the private and public sectors.
Previously a member of the Securities Commission for nine years and the only lawyer appointed to the Government’s Capital Markets Development Taskforce, Cathy has a unique insight into the policy considerations underpinning our securities and capital markets. She was an inaugural member of the Commercial Advisory Board to the New Zealand Treasury and served on the Advisory Board of the New Zealand Treasury from 2016 to 2020. She was also a founding member of the New Zealand China Council and served on the Council for seven years.
Cathy retired from the partnership at the end of 2019 and now consults to the firm, providing strategic advice and a sounding board for complex situations faced by our clients. She also now holds numerous governance roles, serving as a non-executive director of Fletcher Building, Fonterra, and Rangatira. Cathy is chair of Fertility Associates and Tourism Holdings, and Pro-Chancellor at the University of Auckland.
Cathy has won numerous legal awards for her work as a leading corporate, M&A, and private equity lawyer. She was named Verve Clicquot Business Woman of the Year in 2010. She is ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global and Asia-Pacific and is recognised in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific’s Hall of Fame for Corporate and M&A. Clients describe Cathy as "very astute and technically strong," saying further that "[s]he has a strategic approach to transactional work and is prepared to question all members of the transaction team along the way to ensure the best outcome" - Chambers Global 2021.
Cathy was made an officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2016 for services to the law and women.
- Independent Chair, Tourism Holdings Limited
- Independent Chair, Fertility Associates
- Independent Director, Fonterra Co-Operative Group Limited
- Independent Director, Fletcher Building
- Independent Director, Rangatira Investments Limited
- Chartered Member, Institute of Directors in New Zealand Inc
- Member, New Zealand Global Women
- Pro-Chancellor, University of Auckland
Achievements and recognition
- Awarded, Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit, 2016
- Winner, New Zealand Business Woman of the Year, Veuve Clicquot Business Woman Awards, 2010
- Senior Statesperson, Corporate/Commercial, Chambers Global
- Expert Consultant, M&A, Capital Markets and Private Equity, IFLR1000
- Recognised, Capital Markets Law, Best Lawyers
- Recognised, Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice, Best Lawyers
- Recognised, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Best Lawyers
- Recognised, Private Equity Law, Best Lawyers