Cathy Quinn ONZM
Consultant - Corporate and Commercial
Cathy is a former senior corporate partner and Chair of the firm.
Cathy now holds a number of governance roles serving as a non-executive director of Fletcher Building, Fonterra, Tourism Holdings and Rangatira. Cathy is also chair of Fertility Associates. She is a member of the Auckland University Council.
Cathy was previously a member of the Securities Commission for 9 years and the only lawyer appointed to the government’s Capital Markets Development Taskforce. She was an inaugural member of the Commercial Advisory Board to the New Zealand Treasury and has served on the Advisory Board of the New Zealand Treasury since 2016. Cathy was a founding member of the New Zealand China Council and served on the Council for 7 years.
Cathy retired from the partnership at the end of 2019. During her time as a full-time practitioner, she won numerous legal awards for her work as a leading corporate, mergers & acquisitions, and private equity lawyer. Cathy was named Verve Clicquot Business Woman of the Year in 2010.
Cathy was made an officer of the NZ Order of Merit in 2016 for services to the law and women.
Sale of GO Healthy
Advised the vendors of GO Healthy in the sale of 80% of its business to CDH Investments Ltd.
Diligent acquisition by Insight Venture Partners
Advised Diligent Corporation on its acquisition by Insight Venture Partners, the first deal in New Zealand in which a US incorporated company achieves an IPO in New Zealand and is listed on the NZX.
Iron Mountain billion dollar acquisition of Recall Holdings
Advised Iron Mountain (a NYSE listed company) on its application for OIO consent in relation to its proposal to acquire all of the shares in Recall Holdings, valuing over $3.5 billion.
VINCI Construction’s first acquisition in New Zealand
Advised VINCI Construction, the largest construction company in the world by revenue, on its acquisition of HEB Construction.
- 1987, New Zealand
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington
- Independent Director, Fletcher Building
- Director, Tourism Holdings Limited
- Director, Rangatira Investments
- Independent Chair, Fertility Associates
- Member, Treasury Advisory Board
- Member, New Zealand Global Women
- Former Member, Council Executive Board of The New Zealand China Council
- Former Member, Capital Market Development Taskforce
- Former Member, New Zealand Business Roundtable
- Former Member, New Zealand Securities Commission
- Former Member, Subcommittee of the Legal Education Committee of the New Zealand Law Society
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- China Desk
- Private Equity
- Directors Duties
- Ranked as a Band 1 lawyer – Corporate/Commercial, Chambers Asia Pacific & Global
- Ranked as leading in Foreign Expertise (China), Chambers Global
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a Market Leader – M&A, Capital Markets and Private Equity, IFLR1000
- Recognised for Capital Markets Law, Corporate Law (Corporate Governance), Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Private Equity Law, Best Lawyers
- Awarded Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (2016)
- Winner – New Zealand Business Woman of the Year, Veuve Clicquot Business Woman Awards (2010)