Partner - Banking and Finance
Kate is a very experienced banking and finance lawyer with specialist legal knowledge advising financiers, borrowers and other market participants across a broad range of areas, from institutional finance to consumer finance. She has a particular speciality in advising financial institutions on compliance and risk issues and processes with a deep understanding of New Zealand’s banking legislation and regulatory framework.
Kate is recognised in all key international directories as a leader in her field. “She is exceptional, I find her support and advice invaluable. She is very responsive and provides accurate advice that is always appropriate” – Chambers Asia Pacific.
Refinancing Tourism Holdings debt facilities
Advised Tourism Holdings (THL) in connection with the refinancing of its syndicated debt facilities. This was a very important transaction for THL given the impact on the business of, and the uncertainty created by, the global restrictions imposed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
New Zealand’s first ESG Loan
Acted Synlait Milk Limited and its related entities in connection with its entry into an Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) linked loan with ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited. his was the first ESG loan in New Zealand. Our role involved advising Synlait on the terms relating to the ESG arrangement and documenting the ESG mechanics.
- 1999, England and Wales
- 1994, New Zealand
- LLB (Hons), University of Otago
- Asset Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Debt Capital Markets
- Structured Finance
- Syndicated Lending
- Ranked as a leading Banking and Finance lawyer, Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Banking and Finance, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Ranked as Highly Regarded – Banking, IFLR1000
- Recognised by Expert Guides: Women in Business Law directory (the only New Zealander listed for Banking and Finance)
- Named as an IFLR1000 Women Leader for 2021, the elite cohort of leading female transactional experts.
- Recognised for Banking and Finance Law and Structured Finance Law, Best Lawyers
- Recognised by Who's Who Legal: Banking 2019 and Aviation 2019 guides, ranking the world’s leading finance lawyers
- Recognised by Expert Guides: Aviation Law directory (the only New Zealander listed)