Consultant - Corporate and Commercial
Paul practises in all areas of corporate law, has a reputation for innovative thinking, providing the input that has enabled complex transactions to be worked through to a successful conclusion.
Paul’s corporate advisory spans governance, continuous disclosure obligations, directors’ duties and Companies Act, Securities Act, Takeovers Code and Listing Rules advice. Paul also provides leading advice on strategic transactions, mergers and acquisitions, take overs, equity capital raisings, and foreign investment approvals.
Paul’s external governance experience is also very practical. He has 15+ years’ experience as a director of NZX and ASX companies, including as Chair of the board and audit committee and is a Chartered Fellow of the NZ Institute of Directors.
Advised the Crown on the implications to it of the partial sale of Kiwibank (to ACC and NZ Super) including the restructure of the Crown’s standby guarantee of Kiwibank, involving its redocumentation and the Crown being a participant to ongoing shareholder arrangements.
Z Energy $785m acquisition of Chevron
Led the team that advised Z Energy on its $785m acquisition of Chevron New Zealand (which owns and operates the Caltex retail fuel brand in New Zealand) – one of New Zealand’s largest corporate acquisitions in recent years.
- 1985, New Zealand
- LLB, BCA, Victoria University of Wellington
- Chairman, Booster Financial Services Limited
- Chairman, Dryland Carbon LLP
- Chairman, Queen Margaret College Wellington
- Chartered Fellow, Institute of Directors in New Zealand
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance
- Energy and Resources
- Funds Management
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Overseas Investment
- Ranked as a leading Energy and Natural Resources lawyer, Chambers Asia Pacific & Global
- Ranked as Highly Regarded – Capital Markets, M&A and Energy and Infrastructure, IFLR1000
- Recognised for Capital Markets Law, Energy Law, Oil & Gas Law, Best Lawyers