Partner - Banking and Finance
A specialist banking and finance lawyer, Steve acts for major banks and corporates providing strategic advice on secured, unsecured, and subordinated debt facilities, acquisitions, corporate reorganisations/restructures, management buy-outs, and securitisations. He is also well-known in New Zealand’s project and property finance sectors, and is recognised for acting on all the major government PPPs in New Zealand to date.
Financing the acquisition of Pacific Radiology Group
Advised the mandated lead arranger banks in connection with the syndicated financing of Infratil’s acquisition of the Pacific Radiology Group.
Investment financing for the Industre Property Joint Venture
Advising ANZ, Westpac and ICBC on their financing of the Industre Property Group – a joint venture between Stride Property Limited, listed on the NZX, and a group of international investors.
Schools 2 PPP expansion and refinancing
Advising the syndicate of banks on all aspects of refinancing and funding an expansion of the New Zealand Schools Public Private Partnership 2 – achieving a negotiated and documented position that was acceptable to the Ministry of Education, the sponsors, the financiers and all other key project parties.
Recapitalisation of Hirepool Group
Advising Hirepool Group on all financing aspects including a refinance of senior and mezzanine facilities to recapitalise its balance sheet.
Financing the acquisition of NZ Bus Group
Acted for Next Capital, advising on all financing aspects in connection with its acquisition of the NZ Bus Group from Infratil. Continues to act for NZ Bus Group on all banking matters.
Laybuy’s facilities for IPO
Acting for Kiwibank in providing secured debt facilities to Laybuy Holdings to fund its New Zealand and Australian operations prior to its listing on the Australian stock exchange.
- 2008, England and Wales
- 2004, New Zealand
- LLB, BCom (Finance), University of Auckland
- Corporate Finance
- Leveraged Finance and Private Equity
- Project Finance and Public Private Partnerships
- Syndicated Lending
- Structured Finance
- Property Finance
- Ranked as a leading Banking and Finance lawyer, Chambers Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Banking and Finance, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner – Banking, IFLR1000
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner – Project Development, IFLR1000
- Recognised as a Rising Star – Expert Guides
- Recognised in the categories of Banking and Finance Law, Project Finance and Development Practice, Best Lawyers
- +64 9 353 9949
- +64 27 667 5546