International Trade and Investment
International business is governed by a complex legal, regulatory and political environment. The way businesses and governments interpret and influence this environment is crucial to their ongoing commercial success. Our market leading, multi-lingual team can help you to navigate the rules of global business and achieve your international objectives.
We advise on all the rules governing the movement of goods, services and capital across the New Zealand border. This includes:
- New Zealand market access and regulatory requirements
- Inwards investment, including Overseas Investment Office approvals
- Customs and excise rules and procedures
- Anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations
- Export controls
- Sanctions, anti-bribery and corruption
- International supply chain risk management, including modern slavery and ethical sourcing
- Bilateral trade and investment agreements, negotiations and disputes
- World Trade Organisation agreements, negotiations and disputes
- International commercial disputes resolution, including cross border litigation and international arbitration
- Trade policy
We assist our clients with all of their international trade-related queries, which range from requests for regulatory compliance, law reform and lobbying advice through to requests for representation in regulatory investigations, public inquiries and international disputes. In conjunction with our Minter Ellison Group colleagues, we also provide trade law insights from Australia, Hong Kong, mainland China and the United Kingdom. We have a strong track record of success as advocates, and we are the only New Zealand law firm to have Partners recognised for Trade Law and Investment Law by The Best Lawyers™ in the New Zealand guide for 2021.
As recognised experts in their field, members of our team sit on the Boards of the New Zealand International Business Forum, the British New Zealand Business Association, the American Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand, the New Zealand China Council, and the New Zealand Takeovers Panel. We also regularly present lectures and seminars on international trade and investment-related issues. We have a wide network of domestic and international contacts, affording us access to expertise and insights all over the globe.