Public law and regulation have a significant impact on the way business is done in New Zealand. Both government agencies and private entities need to understand how each other’s sectors operate, where the boundaries and opportunities lie, and have a strategy for engaging with relevant decision-makers and stakeholders. Our market leading Public Law team can help you to establish or navigate government rules and processes and achieve your related objectives.
We advise on all aspects of public law and regulation. This includes helping our public and private sector clients to:
- understand complex legislative, regulatory and policy requirements and assess compliance;
- capitalise on regulatory opportunities;
- exercise (or critique the use of) statutory and enforcement powers;
- present persuasively in discussions and disputes with decision-makers or stakeholders;
- undertake or participate effectively in regulatory investigations, public inquiries and judicial review proceedings;
- develop arguments and strategies that secure favourable legislative and policy changes; and
- draft legislation, regulations and tertiary instruments.
Our strength lies in our deep understanding of both government and business. Members of our team have worked across government and held public appointments, so we understand the public sector and its political overlay well. We have expertise in the legal regimes governing the transport, arts, utilities, telecommunications, primary production/processing, distribution, education and financial services sectors. Our expertise is consistently noted in independent national and international peer guides, including Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific.
Our clients value our pragmatic and commercial advice, which considers their objectives and the legal and regulatory environments in which they operate. So, when business and the government need to connect, talk to us.