Partner - Corporate and Commercial
John is an experienced corporate and commercial, and public sector lawyer. Alongside as his extensive experience in these areas of law, John has a particular focus on the infrastructure, technology, gaming, sports, film and entertainment and arts and culture sectors.
John undertakes a broad range of legal work with an emphasis on corporate governance, commercial contracting and procurement, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, intellectual property, and film and television financing.
Recognised as a leading TMT, entertainment, information technology and sports lawyer, John has been consistently listed by publications such as Asialaw, Australian Legal Business Guide, The Best Lawyers in New Zealand and Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers.
Advising the New Zealand Government on the negotiations with offshore entities to attract offshore investment into New Zealand.
Advising Project NEXT, the NZTA-led project for the procurement of a national public transport ticketing solution.
Acting for Taharoa Mining Investments Limited on its acquisition of the iron sands mine at Taharoa from BlueScope.
Advising organisations and boards on a range of corporate governance matters including conflict management and directors’ duties.
- 1990, New Zealand
- LLB (Hons), BCA, Victoria University of Wellington
- Board Member, New Zealand on Air
- Board Member, New Zealand Film Commission
- Trustee Wellington Arts Foundation
- Trustee Limbs4all Trust
- Commercial Contracts
- Corporate Governance
- Film and Entertainment
- Intellectual Property
- Public Law
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT)
- Ranked as a leading Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT) lawyer, Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – TMT, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Recognised for Entertainment Law, Information Technology Law, Media Law and Sports Law, Best Lawyers