Senior Associate - Corporate and Commercial
Shona is a commercial lawyer with particular expertise in intellectual property. She regularly advises clients on a wide variety of intellectual property matters, including licensing and commercialisation.
Shona also provides advice on a range of other commercial matters including privacy law compliance, supply and distribution agreements, consumer law compliance, procurement, and IT agreements.
Prior to joining MinterEllisonRuddWatts, Shona worked in-house in the research and tertiary education sectors and in private practice in a national intellectual property firm. She has more than a decade of experience in the research sector, in legal and non-legal roles, and puts this practical experience to good use when advising clients in the research and deep tech sectors.
Research, intellectual property licensing, and technology transfer
- Advising venture capital funds on the acquisition of rights in new technologies, including intellectual property options, licenses and assignments.
- Advising on an international intellectual property licence for jewellery manufacture, including advising on royalty structures.
- Advising various commercial and research organisations on research agreements, materials transfer agreements, and regulatory aspects of research.
Privacy, data retention, and electronic marketing
- Advising a major New Zealand bank on privacy considerations in the design of a new service.
- Advising a number of health-care and aged-care providers on privacy matters, including in response to COVID-19.
- Providing privacy advice as part of due diligence in various local and international mergers or acquisitions.
- Advising a nationwide professional body in relation to its new website and refreshed privacy and data retention policies.
- Advising various local and international clients on practices, policies, and contractual arrangements relating to privacy, data retention, and electronic marketing, following the introduction of GDPR.
- Part of the team advising the New Zealand Bankers Association (NZBA) on certain critical aspects of the Regional Banking Hubs pilot, a collaboration involving NZBA, six major New Zealand banks, and four community partners to trial a new approach to providing banking services in small rural communities.
- Advising domestic and international clients on procurement, supply, and distribution arrangements at various points along the supply chain.
- Advising various commercial clients on contractual rights and obligations in light of COVID-19.
- LLB (Hons), BSocSc, University of Waikato
- Member, Licensing Executives Society Australia and New Zealand (LESANZ)
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial Law
- +64 9 353 9791
- +64 27 297 5242