Partner - Dispute Resolution and Litigation
Jane is an experienced litigator and co-leader of the firm’s dispute resolution division. She has particular expertise in banking and financial services litigation, consumer law, class action disputes, complex contractual disputes, insurance, professional negligence claims and disputes involving issues of companies and securities law.
Jane has acted on large scale commercial disputes in New Zealand and internationally. She is experienced in acting for clients on complex, high-value disputes involving court proceedings, mediation and arbitration. She offers commercially astute advice in order to avoid disputes and to resolve matters at an early stage.
Jane has completed a Master of Laws at New York University on a Fulbright Scholarship and Hauser Global Scholarship. In the early part of her career, Jane was a Judge’s Clerk at the New Zealand Court of Appeal for Justice Glazebrook and worked as a junior barrister for David Goddard QC (now Justice Goddard). She then went on to become an associate in the litigation team at Allen & Overy LLP. She was the top graduating law student at Victoria University in her year.
Jane’s recent thought leadership includes the publication of an Auckland District Law Society seminar paper on Civil Appeals (2020) and a New Zealand Law Society paper on Deception in Commercial Dealing (2019).
Financial services litigation and regulatory investigations
- Acted for a major bank on a Fair Trading Act inquiry regarding fees.
- Acted in relation to an investigation under the Reserve Bank of New Zealand Act 1989 regarding alleged breaches of conditions of registration.
- Acted for one of the top four audit firms defending a professional negligence claim in relation to the audit engagements carried out for a finance company.
Consumer law prosecutions, regulation and disputes
Defended a prosecution by the Commerce Commission on charges laid regarding a “Made in New Zealand” claim.
Acting for a major insurance broker in relation to claims of negligence, breach of contract and misleading and deceptive conduct under the Fair Trading Act 1986.
Advising major banks and financial service providers in relation to the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act 2003 and Commerce Commission investigations into lending.
Complex contractual disputes
Acted in an arbitration in the energy sector in a contractual dispute regarding carbon emissions worth approx. $50m.
- LLM, New York University School of Law
- BA, LLB (Hons), Victoria University of Wellington
- CPA Australia – Lay member
- Commercial and Corporate Disputes
- Insurance disputes and insurance broker liability
- Consumer law disputes and prosecutions
- Regulatory Compliance
- Banking and Financial Services Litigation
- +64 9 353 9754
- +64 21 411 728