Partner - Tax
A leading tax lawyer, Andrew heads one of the fastest growing tax teams in New Zealand. He is a chartered accountant and lawyer who has been a tax adviser since 1993 and receives glowing feedback for his clear and pragmatic advice to clients on their most important tax issues.
Andrew is renowned for his tax advice and for his representation of clients in contentious matters, with his team ranked as Tier 1 by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Andrew excels in advising clients on all aspects of New Zealand tax laws, and to structure businesses to be tax efficient and compliant from a New Zealand and cross-border perspective.
Andrew has particular expertise in corporate taxation and obtaining binding rulings from Inland Revenue, including corporate and trust structuring, tax disputes, rulings and settlements, employment and executive remuneration taxation and mergers and acquisitions.
Andrew is a trusted adviser to significant listed companies such as Z Energy and Spark. He advises all of the major New Zealand banks and a large range of companies across many different industries. Andrew regularly works with MinterEllison in Australia on trans-Tasman transactions, achieving co-ordinated tax results for clients.
Advising global ice cream giant, Froneri International Ltd, on the acquisition of New Zealand’s iconic Tip Top ice cream business from Fonterra.
Spark New Zealand
Advising Spark New Zealand on crucial tax aspects of the sale of the Lightbox subscription video on demand business to Sky Network Television.
Advising MediaWorks on the merger of its television and radio businesses with ASX-listed outdoor advertising company QMS, to form a multi-platform media business.
Advising leading Australian private equity firm Next Capital on the acquisition of the NZ Bus Group from Infratil.
- 1996, New Zealand
- MTaxS (Hons 1st Class), University of Auckland
- CA, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- LLB, University of Otago
- BCA, Victoria University of Wellington
- Member, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Member, International Fiscal Association (New Zealand)
- Member, New Zealand Law Society Tax Reform Committee
- Member, Financial Services Council Tax Advisory Group
- Corporate Tax
- Employment Taxation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Tax Disputes
- Trust Structuring
- Ranked as a Leading Individual - Tax, Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Tax, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Recognised for Tax Law, Best Lawyers
- Ranked as a Highly Regarded Practitioner, World Tax