Partner - Corporate and Commercial
Rodney leads the Wellington corporate team and specialises in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and advising early-stage and growth businesses.
Rodney has an NZX Diploma and has advised a range of listed companies, NZX firms and substantial shareholders in relation to their participation in New Zealand’s capital markets.
A significant part of Rodney’s practice involves assisting early-stage and growth businesses with their legal needs: from day-to-day contracting and compliance issues through to advising on expansion activities and other significant transactions (such as raising capital, the entry or exit of shareholders, entering into joint ventures, or restructuring the business).
Rodney provides sound, pragmatic advice and is able to communicate complex issues in an easy to understand way. He regularly presents seminars and workshops on commercial and corporate law issues, and is a co-author of Lexis Nexis Practical Business Law and several chapters of Morison’s Company Law.
Sale of large NZ SaaS business
Advised on the sale of the business and assets of a large New Zealand SaaS business to a US-based private equity firm.
Capital raising for tech companies
Advising several high growth tech companies on their capital raising activities, including via wholesale offers and equity crowdfunding.
Private equity acquisitions
Advising a private equity fund on acquisition programme, including in the primary and hi-tech manufacturing sectors.
Employee share schemes
Advising a number of tech companies on the establishment, operation and restructuring of their employee share ownership arrangements.
Aged care acquisitions
Advising on a series of acquisitions of aged care facilities, including associated structuring and funding arrangements.
Advising craft beer manufacturers
Advising several successful craft beer manufacturers on all their legal needs, including distribution agreements, shareholder arrangements, capital raising (including equity crowdfunding) and joint ventures.
- 2001, England and Wales (non-practising)
- 1998, New Zealand
- NZX Diploma, Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington
- Member, The Institute of Directors in New Zealand
- Capital Markets
- Employee Share Schemes
- Growth Companies
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Privately Owned Business
- Shareholder Agreements
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner – M&A and Capital Markets (Debt & Equity), IFLR1000
- Winner – Client Choice Award (M&A, New Zealand), Lexology (2019)
- Winner – General Corporate Lawyer of the Year New Zealand, ILO Client Choice Awards (2016)
- Leading Lawyer, Asialaw (2016)
- Winner – Client Choice Award (General Corporate, New Zealand), Lexology (2016)
- Recognised for Corporate Law, Best Lawyers