Competition and Regulation
Competition law and economic regulation play an important role in a modern market economy. Our team has unparalleled expertise in this complex field, combining legal and economic discipline with the experience of team members as regulators and advisors.
We advise on all aspects of competition law including mergers and acquisitions (obtaining clearance and authorisation from the New Zealand Commerce Commission), anti-competitive conduct, Commerce Commission investigations and prosecutions, regulated industries and consumer protection.
We are consistently acknowledged by international rankings, including the International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers, Chambers and Partners, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Global Competition Review, as leading experts in competition law and regulation.
Practice group leader Ross Patterson is a former New Zealand Telecommunications Commissioner and Member of the Commerce Commission whose “experience and expertise in the area are invaluable” (Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 Edition).
As part of the MinterEllison Australasian Competition and Regulatory Group we can share with our clients the Group’s depth of expertise in this specialist field.
We have advised:
- TVNZ in relation to the application by NZME Limited and Fairfax NZ Limited seeking Commerce Commission authorisation to merge their media operations in New Zealand
- 2degrees in its successful opposition of the applications for Commerce Commission clearance of the proposed merger of Vodafone and Sky Network Television Limited in New Zealand
- The New Zealand Racing Board in relation to its successful application for Commerce Commission authorisation of commingling arrangements with Tabcorp Australia
- Z Energy in relation to some aspects of its successful application for Commerce Commission clearance of its acquisition of 100% of the shares in Chevron NZ Ltd
- Coty Inc on its successful application for Commerce Commission clearance of its acquisition of certain Proctor & Gamble beauty products businesses
- A livestock agency in relation to a Commerce Commission price-fixing investigation
- A freight forwarder in relation to the application by FedEx for Commerce Commission clearance to acquire TNT
- 2degrees in relation to its national roaming arrangements with Vodafone
- Youi NZ Pty Ltd in relation to Commerce Commission proceedings alleging misleading conduct in breach of the Fair Trading Act
- Trustpower in relation to a Commerce Commission investigation and prosecution under the Fair Trading Act for allegedly misleading advertising
Who can help
Protect your business
Produced by MinterEllisonRuddWatts, Safetrac's award-winning health and safety courses have been proven to help reduce the risk of your team causing reputational damage, litigation and financial penalties to your business.
Safetrac provides effective legal compliance programmes to motivate behavioural change. The programmes educate and engage everyone in your business.