Privacy and Data Protection
New technologies present a great opportunity for business. They can also raise a range of social, commercial and legal issues around privacy and data protection. We understand the importance of information security, and the reputational, regulatory and commercial risks that can arise when information is not managed and protected appropriately or is subject to an attack.
Our team of experts can advise you across the full spectrum of privacy and data protection issues. They can help you take a pragmatic, risk management approach to managing and protecting your information throughout its lifecycle and advise you across the full range of privacy, data protection and cyber security issues, from compliance to operational issues to data breach response.
A data or privacy breach can be devastating for the reputation of a business and also have serious follow-on legal consequences. We provide our clients with expert advice on the current legislation, upcoming legislation, and how the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) effects New Zealand businesses. We are well versed in the Privacy Act and active in the review of privacy legislation.
- Advising on all aspects of contact tracing, including APP development and privacy by design
- Advising on major data breach crisis response and recovery
- Drafting of privacy policies
- Advising on liability under the Privacy Act, and settlement of Privacy Act disputes
- Representing clients in dealings with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner on complaints and investigations.
- Representing clients before the Human Rights Review Tribunal on privacy litigation
- Advising on industry-wide data sharing arrangements
- Providing best practice approaches in contracts involving personal information, data, security and confidential information
- Advising on the effects of GDPR for New Zealand businesses
- Advising on the collection and use of personal information for unsolicited electronic messages and to compile databases